Hannah’s done it all, from managing a billion-dollar fund to sowing the seeds for new ventures as an angel investor in Africa. She has financed the construction of cell phone towers through major telecom providers, creating the foundation needed for the mobile technology revolution in Africa. And she’s bootstrapping the entrepreneurs that will change how healthcare is delivered in the years to come. This conversation will help you understand the role that private financing can play in Africa’s future. It’s also a snapshot of the Congo, as told by one of its stars, a complex country which is both one of the poorest and the richest in the world.
Hannah Subayi Kamuanga is Country Director for the Democratic Republic of the Congo of PROPARCO, France’s development finance institution. She is a member of the investment committee for Launch Africa Ventures, the most active seed investor in tech in Africa today. On top of all of that, she’s an active angel investor and co-founder of Dazzle Angels, the first Angel club to invest exclusively in women-led tech startups in South Africa.
- Launch Africa Ventures is the most active investor in tech in Africa today. Hannah sits on the core investment committee of this venture capital fund.
- PROPARCO is France’s development finance institution (DFI). Hannah is the Country Director for PROPARCO’s work in the Democratic Republic of the Congo. is the first
- Dazzle Angels is the first club (or “syndicate”) of angel investors focused exclusively on women-led tech startups in South Africa. Hannah created Dazzle Angels to support female entrepreneurship and investing in Africa.
- Foreign Exchange Risk (FX) is the financial risk that arises due to variability in exchange rates between currencies. It’s a major factor that affects international investment into African markets.
- Waspito is a HealthTech startup in Cameroon that Hannah supported through Launch Africa Ventures and a 2.7 million USD seed investment. Waspito provides telemedicine services and quality medication to communities in Africa.
- Innovative Clan (iClan) is an EdTech payments company from Cameroon making it easier for families to pay school fees. Launch Africa Ventures supported iClan initially and they were also selected for the 2022 VC4A (Venture Capital for Africa) showcase